Thursday, September 10, 2009

I know I've been showing this to a lot of people, but if you haven't seen it yet, man, check it out. This will probably be my favorite thing that Trent Reznor has ever done (I'm not craaaazy about the man's work, but I respect his aesthetic). T-Rez leads the gang through "Night Clubbing" while Bela Lugosi in sideburns makes Bryan Ferry sound overwrought.



There's something really special, to me, about the setup they've got going here. It's amazing how sound technology has evolved to the point where you can get this sort of pristine intensity and precision, all while playing to like 12 people. I mean, to get that guitar to squall like that in the old days, you'd need half a dozen effects pedals, a cranked-up stack, and enough volume and feedback hum to bristle Zappa's soul patch. Here it's a tiny little set-up, like a very small hurricane. Yeah... music for small rooms. I still think it's an interesting challenge. How can one fill the space with music, but still allow enough room to move through it?

No comments:

Post a Comment