Saturday, July 25, 2009

My Tired Lung

I think-- and I've talked to a lot of people about this-- music doesn't hit all the people all the time. Sometimes a band records a song and you're not ready to hear it until 20, 30, 40 years later. Your ears and brain just aren't set up to receive it yet. I think about this a lot because I don't like to listen to music right when it comes out. I like music with a little age on it, for some reason.

Anyway, this obscure introduction is basically just leading up to me saying that I've been listening to a good bit of Radiohead recently, basically one of the most gargantuan bands in the world for most of the 90's-- and thus, one I've consciously eschewed. Not entirely-- I really liked most of "The Bends" when I first heard it, especially "High and Dry", which to me seemed warm and accessible and sympathetic, not like the music I imagined a group called Radiohead would make. Anyway, lately I've been taking another sonic tour through "OK Computer", which I didn't like as much as "The Bends" on first listen (for obvious reasons). 

I particularly like the second half of the album. It's a little more tuneless, but that actually works, because all the songs tend to melt and flow into each other, making the songs more a big, flowing whole. "Karma Police" is very White Album-ish and "No Surprises" is so incredibly arresting with that little glockenspiel-like intro.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I can finally, now, listen to the album, rather than popular perception of the album, which colors my feelings more than I'd like. If something is too popular, I'm not really listening to it, I'm listening to people listening to it. In the words of some great thinker whose name escapes me (maybe Goethe), "Let us space".

Guess what, all of that was just an introduction for a cover of "My Iron Lung". By yours truly!



(I had to kind of chop it and switch it up and improvise it and mess it up. Don't expect perfection).

3 comments:

  1. You rock my world Mattey, this is awesome. You should sing more. Or just sing more so that I can hear it. Or just come to res so that you can sing more and everyone can hear it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here re: Radiohead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. after having had the traditional giant radiohead phase in high school and then ignoring them for six or so years, i am only just coming back to them. i find myself most taken with the fact that holy damn, those bitches can write a pop song. i might recommend the jazz pianist Brad Mehldau's covers of their songs -- he does really drawn-out, cerebral, meticulous explorations of them that uncover a lot of interesting harmonic meat. i particularly recommend this crazy 20-minute version of Paranoid Android he recorded live. it's NUTS.

    ReplyDelete