Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Focus, Trinity


I discovered something cool today. I was playing around in the backyard with this weighted ball I have (6 lbs. or so). I was tossing it around like I usually do, and then I spent some time balancing it on my head, and seeing how long I could keep it there. I tried walking while balancing it, and I noticed it was forcing me to be very aware of my body, and move slowly and with great consciousness. Then I tried to see how long I could remain still while balancing it on my head. After a little while, I noticed myself slipping into a hypnotic state. The effort involved in keeping the rather heavy ball balanced engaged most of my basic motor functions, while my mind was free to split off and do its own thing. I picked a point and focused exclusively on it-- the world in front of me became acid-bright, like a diorama. My eyes closed and opened several times of their own accord. I felt totally focused and receptive (I had taken my shoes off as soon as I noticed the state coming on, in order to be more connected with the ground). In short, it worked terrifically well as a calming, meditative exercise. If you try this, let me know how it worked for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment