Monday, September 13, 2010

Sociology

I've been noticing this very specific genus of female as I get older. Some characteristics they seem to have in common:

1) They are older, usually from early- to mid-forties.

2) They tend to tell long, self-referential stories, the tone of which is almost always self-pitying or self-congratulatory. If self-pitying, there is an unspoken invitation to regard them as terribly admirable or courageous for overcoming their almost unendurable difficulties. If self-congratulatory, there is a similarly fake air of modesty.

3) They reference their husband and/or children with a frequency that borders on compulsion-- like, say about once per sentence.

4) Any perceived criticism or hostility is met with exaggerated, wide-eyed incredulity. (They can't understand why you're attacking them so ferociously!)

5) They are usually found in adult-education or therapy groups, and there never seems to be more than one at a time in that group.

6) Any of the following: sighing before starting a sentence, talking too loudly, harsh or faked laughter at things that are mildly (or not at all) amusing, emotional pandering to authority figures, self-deprecation taken to an infuriating degree.

This type of person tends to scare me-- or if not the woman herself, then the unmistakable look in her eyes: that of frantic imprisonment, of forced good cheer. Just wondering if anyone else had noticed this.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah I think I have. I remember a distinct instance where it bothered someone I was having coffee with more than it bothered me. If I remember correctly the response to this display of forced imprisonment went something like... (a scowl with furrowed brow) "I hate the smell of desperation."

    The person who said that though was entertaining the thought of divorce, and didn't know how to end the damned union. I think she didn't like seeing herself in that wretched 'other.'

    ReplyDelete