Monday, November 30, 2009

Mental Progress, or Clarity no. 2

When I was growing up, I thought that love and sex were mutually exclusive. The impression I got was that sex was basically greedy, animalistic, callous. Love was emotional but sterile. In other words, to love someone basically doomed you to a lifetime of writing them letters from the other side of the room, lest your noble intentions be sullied, blah blah bullshit.

This now strikes me as... well, just completely wrong, and so very damaging. You might as well cut your brain in half with a knife as think along such divisive lines. Again, it's the yin and the yang. They aren't far apart, but constantly touching and flowing into each other. A person can be two things at once, and the body and the soul and the mind aren't enemies, for heaven's sake, they're friends. They can all operate at once, synergize. Christ. It's so obvious. I wish I could've processed this about a dozen years ago or so, but better late than never, I guess.


Postscript provided by Of Montreal:

I used to think in black
While at my country seat
Now I'm peaking in so many ways
The gloom is in retreat

Yeah, the dark epoch is over
I found my efeblum

Then passed Ernst's mausoleum
Defended by a rook
Who shot a look so virulent
It pierced me like a hook

The palaver of solipsists
Exploding in my skull...

Yeah and we both despise
All of the academic swine
Who made the author of "Discuss Ulysses" benign

So what if Wednesday finds us
Wearing rabies parachutes?
Foaming like the melody,
A single fairy flute

The atmosphere is viscous,
We're sticking to the brine...

Yeah and we both despise
All of the academic swine
Who made the author of "Discuss Ulysses" benign

When the lanterns fill with finches
So begins the brawl
Their brains are like porcupines
And mine's a paper ball (x2)

I know they don't understand
They don't get us at all
Their moss mangles polyanthus
And mine's a paper ball


No comments:

Post a Comment