Monday, February 15, 2010

Internalization

"Internalization" is the process by which a person codifies, consolidates, and adopts a set of beliefs, attitudes, or values. Role models can help with this. If an admired other displays a set of traits that we want to adopt, we are more likely to adopt those traits. Prearranged dogma or behavioral sets or schema or variously other-arranged sets of orthopraxy/-doxy. These are imposed from without but can be adopted freely and swallowed whole. "Introjection" is where the subject incorporates into his- or herself fragments of the surrounding world. So like for instance tonight and the night before when I took great big breaths of night air because it had become sweet and filling and nourishing again after long periods of thin inert air, I was in fact desperately trying to incorporate this healthy tinge into my own self. For example. No word so far on if there is a process for trying desperately to keep oppressive noxious fragments from permeating and corrupting one's sense of self/spiritual progress. In extremis I guess you would call that "denial". The permeability of spaces. (The safety of objects). "Individuals with weak ego boundaries are more likely to use introjection as a defense mechanism." More air I need more air I need more air.

1 comment:

  1. I remember a while back a certain author got dropped by her publisher for plagiarizing certain phrases that she had unkowingly "internalized." And I thought, is that really fair, does anybody keep up the front of individuality anymore? Isn't the whole idea of not being able to write three words in a row that someone else wrote without it being "plagiarism" just a moneymaking scheme for publishers anyhow? You are really thinking along the lines of Baudrillard, with his thing about drives and repulsions... denial and negation... Anyhow, it sounds like you are really on a creative rampage. This may not be the place to get into project talk, but let me just say I want to see some poems! :)

    Forgot what else I was going to say. Will go back to listening to Nick Cave for now.

    ReplyDelete